2014 African Health Fair
On November 22, 2014, the Governor’s Commission on African Affairs hosted the 2014 African Health Fair. Leading the efforts, the Health Sub-Committee, organized over 50 healthcare vendors, free health screenings, free flu shots, and brought the Capital Area Food Bank to donate fresh fruits, vegetables and non-perishable goods to all participants. The Health Sub-Committee is Chaired by Dr. Anu Esuola, Co-Chair Dr. Abimbola Idowu and Commissioner Joshua Nzueni.
“Our Commission aims to be inclusive and representative of the immigrant African community in Maryland, but we recognize the importance of the health and well being of all Marylanders,” said Dr. Esuola. “Our work is aimed towards our community but we welcome everybody to partake in the work that we do, especially tackling difficult issues such as health and preventative care. We are entering the flu season, and the Commission is extremely grateful to RiteAid and Walgreens for providing participants with access to free flu shots.”
The Health Fair hosted over 400 participants throughout the day and our participants were afforded the opportunity to listen to our health panelists discuss issues relating to healthcare access, Maryland’s Ebola response, EV-D68 and other topics. Our panelists included:
- Rashern L. Baker, III, County Executive, Prince George’s County
- Joshua Sharfstein, M.D., Secretary, Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- Reverend Alexine Mendscole-Howard, Alpha & Omega Ministries Internationa, Inc.
- Bishop David Adeoye, R.Ph., Graceland Bible Faith Church
- Lyn Twyman, L.A.S.E.R.S.
- Lilian Agwu Iben, We Refuse Abuse Magazine
- Andrew De Los Reyes, Project Office, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Dr. Renee Bovelle, Envision Eye & Laser Center
- Dr. Charles Howell, Department of Medicine, Howard University Hospital
The Commission would also like to thank our event sponsors for helping make the 2014 Health Fair possible:
For more information about the 2014 Health Fair please click on the following links: